Tuesday 19 June 2018

All repaired and back at the mooring

I used the outboard to run the boat to the marine engineers this morning, a journey of only 50 feet out of the visitors moorings. The engineers managed to position the boat to lift the outdrive to reach it, something which was impossible in the places we were broken down due to the high banks.


I left the boat with them and they had it repaired in only a couple of hours. We were hoping the shear pin had broken due to picking up weeds. It was wrapped with weeds, however the section of the propeller which holds the shear pin had separated from the rest of the propeller. The engineers have machined the propeller to accept new bolts between the 2 sections of propeller and it is now working fine. They are also going to investigate whether an alternative propeller for the boat can be fitted to this ZF drive as they seem to think there is a particular Volvo one which will fit. They will get back to me.

Anyway I drove back to Thorne and collected the boat and navigated the 1/2 mile back to the mooring including Thorne lock. The first time I've done a lock singled handed but I manged OK.


The blue narrowboat on the right at the end is the one which towed us back. John gave me the thumbs up when he saw me go past and that the boat had been repaired.


Top of Thorne lock almost at our mooring.

No comments:

Post a Comment