Monday 18 June 2018

Finally made it back!

Well during the week parts have arrived for the outboard. I fitted the recoil spring and new starting rope on Friday night and whilst at it I stripped the carburettor and clean it out. On running the outboard in a bin it seemed to be running much better. So off once again to try and make our way back to Thorne! 

We set off  but after around 1/4 of a mile the engine cut out. I'm sure it would have started again but the wind had pushed us straight into the weeds on the side opposite the towpath. The weeds were everywhere and wrapped around the propeller. No way would we be able to start here without also damaging the outboard. I tried to paddle back to the towpath but as soon as I paddled boat in the direction I wanted to go  the wind took it back. 

But not to worry because shortly after arrived a narrow boat. I asked if they could possibly tow me across to the other side but after enquiring where they were going we arranged a tow to Thorne for the princely sum of  'a few drinks'.
Thank you John and OXO the dog!


We were hoping to get into the visitor moorings as they are right next to the marine engineers we use but they were full. So we moored a little further on for Saturday night. On Sunday morning someone moved on so we tried the engine again and free of weed ran fine and we moved on to the visitor mooring. Monday morning I spoke to the engineers and he will have a look tomorrow morning.


A family of swans looking to be fed!



No comments:

Post a Comment